Thursday, December 20, 2012

Zip-lining with Monks

Okay, not really. But I did zip line today and I did chat with monks.

I've never zip lined before and thought "why not? It's a chance to be a monkey high up in the jungle." It was heart pumping excitement. Not for those afraid of heights though. Whisking high up in the trees. We had these "brakes" which were bamboo stick that you would press down on the lines to slow down. The group was from all around the world (about 12 of us). I chatted with some friendly Brits living in Vietnam. The braking was an issue for a few of the members of the group (either couldn't hear them saying break or couldn't understand). Anyhow, one of the ladies came smashing into the platform and ended up with a giant blood oozing gash on her forehead! Put a little bit of a kink in the day. She had to be rushed off the get stitches and since she was in the jungle, they had to zip line her the rest of the way out. We kept zipping away until there was no more. Then it was out of the jungle and back into the city.

I caught a bit to eat and stopped by an electronics store for a cultural modern technology experience. Wowza. Gadget overload. But the thing that i really noticed was how many different colored fans there were. In a place this hot, it's important to make your fan fashionable.

Moving back from the modern world, I decided to attend an intro to meditation session held by some monks at one of the Wats. It started out with a group of us just chatting with the monks. They gave us some free monk water (wish I had a photo, bottled water with little cartoon monks on it). We asked questions about their lifestyle, studies, Buddhism, and iphones. Was fascinating. Most of us were Christian, they explained how they study other religions and are accepting. After the chat was the meditation.

Meditation is hard! Sitting in one place making your mind focus only on breathing, not letting it wander. T.o.u.g.h. I have to give the monks props for their concentration. They gave tips on getting past the pain, boredom, and wandering mind. They also noted how with meditation, your mind can be more focused and less crazy. It is also something that requires practice. In the end it was very interesting and insightful. It's fascinating to hear the many similarities (and differences) in our beliefs.

On the way out I wandered on to the night market, where I partook in mystery meats on sticks, delicious fruits, and curry noodle dishes. Tomorrow I'm taking a Thai cooking class and will hopefully learn to make some of the foods!

No comments:

Post a Comment