Friday, October 28, 2011

Fall in the Rainforest

The journey has begun. On Monday I left the beautiful mountains of Montana for the coast of Washington. Along the way the trees were beaming in yellows, reds, and oranges. I might just take up a career following fall around the world. 

I LOVE LOVE LOVE FALL!


Everything gets so lush and green as you drive over the Cascade mountains in Washington. 



I planned a week in Olympic National Park on the coast of Washington before heading up on the ferry. Almost 1 million acres of wilderness including 73 miles of coast, rainforest, rivers, glaciers, and mountains are preserved in Olympic. There are a few roads that skirt around the park, but the only  way to get deep inside the park is on foot.
The Olympic Mountain Range
The trees in the park are BIG. Creek your neck up and drop your jaw. Nothing makes you feel smaller than standing next to these giants.


The park recieves almost 150 inches of rain a year,
 making it the wettest place in the continental United States.

Funky Mushrooms
Overall the weather was great. It was a little chilly, but the sun was out a couple of days.
Cool Mosses
The leaves were stunning! So many shapes, colors, and sizes.

Some were almost as big as me!


In the park you will find some of the world's largest trees. 

World's Largest Spruce Tree
Lots of cool moss....




And the ocean! 

Olympic is yet another beautiful natural place in the world. I am thankful that it was set aside as a National Park and preserved for all to enjoy and seek solitude. 
Next up: The ferry to Alaska. :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment