Thursday, July 21, 2011

Overnight Success


Slackpacking. Backpacking in a mellow, easygoing fashion.   After being sick with a seriously annoying summer cold the past few weeks, I needed a relaxing weekend "away" in the tundra. Getting out without getting exhausted. So this weekend I went on my first overnight hike in Denali. It was simply splendid. 

It was a group of 5 of us going out into the wild. In Denali you apply for the permit the day before you go out. The park is split up into units. Each unit only allows so many to go on overnights. Keeping your backpacking experience wild.  The unit we ended up applying for and receiving was Unit 10: West Fork of Toklat.  Besides that, we had no destination in mind. Going where the wind blew. 

The weather the night before was freezing! Some parts of the park even recieved snow. It was a little worrisome, but I was determined to get out. Waking up the next morning, the sun was shining! We departed on the afternoon bus to our destination. On the bus ride we saw a moose, a fox, and three bears! The trip was already starting out good. 






And we were off! Packs on our backs, hiking shoes on, ready for a good weekend. We decided to make our camp about 7 miles ahead in a beautiful valley surrounded by mountains. Getting there was fairly easy-going, following a river bed. We were strolling along on the rocks and tundra, getting closed in by mountains and leaving the road.  The beauty was all around us and was increasing with every step.  A rainbow even decided to grace us.









All was marvelous until the river crossing. I had heard about these river crossings here and  watched the backcountry training video that talked about them. But hadn't done one yet. Honestly it made me nervous. The water was a couple of feet high, fast, and cold. But in true wilderness there are no bridges. Luckily we had some experienced river crossers with us. It helps to "read" the water to find the best place to cross that is not as high or fast. Fun fact. You get wet. No way around it. Some people bring seperate shoes and clothing. Some just subscribe to the wet boot grin and bear it philosophy. I decided to join the latter. When you cross you move side to side. Making sure you have clear footing. It is very important to NOT look at the water or else you will get vertigo. When all was said and done, it was FUN! Very exhilirating.





After the river crossing we passed on to the tundra. I love the tundra! We decided to take a tundra break. I took off my wet shoes to walk around on the squishy, soft tundra.  Frolicking around on the tundra. Can I just say tundra one more time? TUNDRA TUNDRA TUNDRA! Okay, I'm done.







Moving on we went up the valley, nearing our camping destination. A suprise was in store for us up ahead. As we kept climbing up the ridge the mountains were getting larger, narlier and JAW DROPPING. On the top of the ridge were mountains in every direction. Green, lush tundra. This was where we were going to spend the night and explore?! We set up our tents of the tundra. Which fyi is not the easiest to find a flat spot because there are all these pillows and divets. But if you set it up right, the grooves surround you and hug you like pillows. 












How about a little dinner with a view? Gorp and PB&J's may not be the most appealing meal, but with a view like this, who cares what you are eating! The sun was setting under the mountains. Lighting the green tundra on fire. The colors hitting the mountains and valley were STUNNING! Can someone say magical? 

(Disclaimer: I realize that I use an unusually high amount of adjectives expressing beauty (stunning, magical, beautiful, amazing, etc)  in my blog. But when life is so beautiful and what you are seeing gives you thrills and chills, it is necessary to use and overuse such words to get your point across!)








Time to go to bed. Yes, it is still light out practically all the time.  I haven't seen the darkness yet. I think in the next couple weeks to month the darkness will arrive. 
Waking up in the morning the plan of action was to explore the area a little bit. We walked up some of the ridges and valleys to get views all around. Everywhere you looked there was something that made you smile and take your breath away.







What happened next was probably the most thrilling, scary part of the entire trip.  A bear (or three bears) encounter. Get ready for a tale of danger and intrigue....

No comments:

Post a Comment