Thursday, May 5, 2011

13.1 Miles

For months I have been training for the marathon and finally the time had come to RUN! It was a tough winter in Montana with lots of snow, animals, and an injury that made it difficult. Luckily the course was flat, the weather was sunny yet cool, and the elevation was low :).


Eugene is a great town. It is the second largest city in Oregon and home to the University of Oregon Ducks.  Nike was established here back in the day. And it is dubbed Track Town USA where elite runners train, miles of running trails exist, and a perfect setting for the marathon!




Woke up bright and early at 5 am on Sunday. It was a crisp morning with frost on the cars, but blue skies abounding. A good day to run. This being my first half-marathon I didn't know what to expect. Eugene's race has about 7,000 runners representing over 49 states (not sure which state wasn't represented-wasn't Alaska or Hawaii though). A big race, but not huge.

We lined up at the starting line. I was in Corral B (like we were cattle?!). I decided to try and run with the 4:30 pacing group. The running leader was awesome. First, she had just gotten back from Africa the week before, where she had run a 50k race. Second, she was wearing a rubber ducky on her hat. Third, she was talking the entire time while carrying a pacing sign with balloons. She was tough, seemed like all this was a piece of cake for her.


I didn't know if I would be able to keep the pace since my training runs had usually been at a much slower pace. But I was feeling good and figured I might as well go for it! We started late because of some computer error. But soon enough the gun shot off and we were off!



It is cool to see all the supporters along the roads. Holding signs and saying "You got this!", "Good job!" or my favorite "I'm proud of you, complete stranger". Every mile our pace leader would have us cheer "4:30 rocks!" and have us dedicate each mile to someone. The volunteers at the marathon were great. They had water or energy food ready to grab each couple of miles, supported the runners and directed us where to go.






The course was really flat. There was one little hill- nothin. Some people complained about how it was cold in the morning. Whatever. When you train in the winter snow/wind/rain/sleet in Montana----it's nada. Some runners complained about having to dodge the reflectors and cones on the road. Try dodging elk, bison, deer, and their scat~!


I loved the run. It was a test of physical and mental endurance. I had to break off from the pacing group and from Wendie at mile 10 sadly. I was concerned, how was I going to keep the pace? I figured I would either go too slow or too fast! But as it happened, I noticed some people from my pacing group and just followed them (one being a 12 or so year old running the half!). My body was starting to feel the pain. It wanted to be done. I squeezed my pack of Energy goo to get some last bit of energy.


As I came closer to the stadium you could hear people cheering and them announcing names. It was exciting. I heard about the jumbo tron that you see yourself on when you finish. I DID NOT want to be on the jumbotron. But when I got there, I have to admit it was cool. You finish on the track with thousands of people watching you (eek!) and they announce your name as you go over the finish line. Sooooooo glad to be done. Once I started walking my legs were feeling the pain. You get your medal and then get pancakes, water, and gatorade to refuel.

My goal for the run was to get under 2 hours and 30 minutes. But once I started going with the pacing group, I was hoping for 2 hours 15 minutes. When I crossed the finish line the clock said it was 2 hours 17 minutes. Darn. 2 minutes too late. But then I remembered how we started late. So I went to the results booth to check my time. 2 hours 13 minutes! Woohoo!!!!!! Which FYI was only a few minutes before the full marathoners finished.

After being done we waited and watched for Wendie to finish the marathon. It was interesting to see all the people crossing the finish line. A few were falling down and needing help. Others looked like they barely broke a sweat. One guy was performing magic tricks on the way to the finish. Wendie soon enough blazingly finished her 7th marathon! Setting a new pr! Go Wendie!



And that was it. The marathon was over and it was time to leave Oregon and drive home. I would definitly do it again (Even though the training is a pain). Next time hopefully 26.2 miles. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment