Tuesday, May 24, 2011

One Giant Leap North

Tomorrow I will be leaving for Alaska. So bizarre that it is finally here. No matter how many times I travel or start new jobs/adventures, I always get nervous. But good things don't always come easily. Change is hard. Taking the first step is always the most difficult. The journey of a million miles begins with a single step. And a million other life parables...

I am excited though! I will fly out of Bozeman, Montana. Only 1 connection in Seattle and then on to Anchorage. How can Alaska be that easy to get to? Seems like I should be taking some grand adventure of trains, boats, or dog sleds to get there. But nope, I am just flying. I thought about driving, but that is some 2,500 miles.  Maybe later, for now I'll take to the air.


View Larger Map

Check out how big Alaska is compared to the rest of the states. And I am only going to see a tiny little snippet of the state!


When I arrive I will take a few days to drive to the coast to to Seward, Alaska. Where I will explore the mountains and glaciers of Kenai Fjords National Park. And then on Saturday morning I leave from Anchorage to make the journey into Denali!

Some Alaska factoids for you........

It became the 49th state in 1959. The state capitol is Juneau.  The state mineral is gold. The state sport is dog mushing. 5% of the state is glaciers (29,000+ square mile). Did you know Alaska is 2.5x larger than the state of Texas?  586,412 sq. mi for 626,932 people!  Half of which live in Anchorage. 


The federal government owns 60% of the land. This acreage includes national parks, wildlife refuges, national forests, military reservations and the North Slope National Petroleum Reserve.There are eight national parks in the state. The most out of any state. 

I'm sure I will learn oodles more about the state, the people, and the beauty that is Alaska. Hopefully I can share this in the coming months. Onward to my great Alaskan Adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment