Friday, December 10, 2010

What´s on the menu.....

POTATOES! Did you know that in Peru there are over 3000 different types of potatoes? So most meals I eat here either have mashed potatoes, fried potatoes, cut potatoes, baked potatoes, big potatoes, small potatoes, white potatoes, yellow potatoes, orange potatoes, purple potatoes, potatoes, potatoes, potatoes!!!

That´s a lotta starch in my diet. A food second to the potato here is QUINOA! What is quinoa you might ask. Good question. Only the mother of all grains! It has been an important food in the Andes for over 6000 years! The Incans considered the crop sacred. Peru produces the most Quinoa in the world. Quinoa has an incredible amount of nutrients in it like high protein, dietary fiber, magnesium and iron. The food itself is kinda like rice meets cuscus meets pasta. DELICIOUSO!

And then there is the norm of corn, bread, and guinea pig! Haha....in general the food is a little bland and needs to be spiced up. It is a lot of starches and carbs. The desserts are lovely....cakes, breads, pastries, mouses, and ice cream. Okay, I´m starting to get hungry for lunch....Buen provecho!
 The Alpaca burger I ate the other day. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love Quinoa. I use it all the time, and as a flour too as is Gluten Free :)

    Looks like you are having a blast!!!

    ReplyDelete