Monday, October 7, 2013

At The Starting Line

My alarm was set to go off at 5:45. I ended up jumping out of bed a few hours early because I was excited. But it was so quiet everywhere. The streets were empty. It was dark, the city wasn't yet awake. Only the newspaper men and metro ad placement guys were in sight. That all changed when I reached the train station:chaos.  Where do I go? Where do I get my ticket? Where's the platform? It's always a game of hurry up and wait in travel.


Soon enough I boarded my train for southern France, to the start of the Camino de Santiago. It was lovely watching the sun rise over the French countryside. 


The ride was quick! Once we got close to the train transfer station at Bayonne I was getting very nervous for the first time in the trip. "What am I doing? What if I get horribly bored or hate this?" I started second guessing. But then I got off the train and took a walk around town. One foot in front of the other. This is the simplicity I'd been wanting. A time to stop overthinking and just be. I can do this. Just walk. 

Then I met some fellow walkers. One had already done this three times. The other was brand new. A frequent question I'm starting to hear already is "Why? What made you want to do this?" Some saw the movie, others have friends, others for weight loss, some chat it up, while others seek spiritual refuge. 

As the sun was shining down, the train departed for St. Jean Pied de Port. The ride was beautifully scenic, slowly climbing into the Pyrenees mountains. Following a rocky river. Very lush, overflowing with green. Quaint. Sheep grazing on green hillsides. 



And then we arrived! There were probably 20 pilgrims on that train. We all rush out, headed toward the pilgrim office to get our passport. The "credentials de peregrino" you get stamped at each Refugio (or hostel) along the way.



After getting my passport I went out to explore the cute little town if St. Jean PdP. The town is beautifully located in the mountains and features old cobblestone roads, bridges, and walls to explore. 






Looking forward to a good night's sleep, ready to begin my pilgrimage in the morning....







No comments:

Post a Comment