Don't let the title scare you. This is a comic tragedy. Gather round and let me tell you the story of one cold, misty, rainy Tuesday evening hike up to a destination called Pika Hut. What unfolded on that evening can only be considered the tragic comedy that happens in life.
It was my Saturday night (aka Tuesday in the real world). The plan was to get out and hike to a cabin a few miles away called Pika Hut. It sits atop the ridge behind Camp Denali overlooking the Alaska range and Denali. It is an easy retreat with all the amenities provided. Only a few miles away.
This particular night it was raining and misty. Not a perfect night for a hike up the ridge, but I was determined to go up. I left after dinner. Prepared with rain gear, books, and snacks.
Hiking up was mystical. You go in and out and the mist and clouds. Little breaks of light would happen where you would see the mountains or sky.
Once I got to the top of the ridge, it felt like forever until I reached the hut. Kept going up and down little hills of the ridge. A rollar coaster of hiking. The trail would come and go. I had heard of people not being able to find it when it is misty.
But alas, over the last hill what did I see? PIKA! The animal. No not really, it was the cabin.
It looked beautiful. Situated in a wide open plot on the top of the ridge. Windows surrounding the cabin for maximum views. It looked amazing. I was ready to get inside and dry off by a warm fire with a book in my hand.
I opened the door. What I saw next was my downfall. A combination lock. I had completly forgot about the combination lock on the door. I had flashbacks to when they were telling us about the cabin and how not to forget the combination. I remember them talking about it saying it was these numbers because of something. I tried hard to remember what numbers they had said. But all I could hear was wha wha wha (similar to charlie brown's teacher talking). My memory had failed me.
Grr.....brain why could you not have remembered this minute detail?! I decided to use my detective skills in hope that I would find some secret code of numbers hidden somewhere. Looked around the cabin, under rocks, in the outhouse. Nada.
I considered sleeping on the porch, underneath the awning. But I didn't really have any warm clothes or sleeping bag. So sadly I had to head back. A tragic comedy. Hiking up to spend the night in a cabin but I forgot the combination to get in.
Hiking down I just kept thinking how funny it was. Even though it was raining harder and getting a little chilly. But hey, you can't always get what you want. Reminded me of the time I arrived a day late for a flight in Guatemala. That one was funny too. All be in, much more expensive of a mistake than this one. All this cost me was a few hours and a short hike.
Sometimes life is about the journey, not the destination. Or so it says on t-shirts and bumper stickers. The hike up was pretty and I enjoyed a nice evening floating in the mist. Live and learn. There is always next time.


















No comments:
Post a Comment