All play and no work makes you poor. While I feel so fortunate to be able to play in this little corner of nature's paradise, I am here to work. And work it is. Hard work. Long work. 5 days a week. 10 hour days. Here is a glimpse at a day (actually week) in my life as a seasonal worker in Alaska.
Normally my day starts at 6:30 to serve breakfast to guests. There is a set menu for each day and we set up the dining room with place setting for each guest. For meals guests sit down like a family, talking about each other's days and travels. The meals are served individualy to each guest as a beautiful, delectible, artfully presented plate.
Next I have a shift in H2 or Housekeeping 2 or aka Rubbish lady. I go around collecting all the recycling and trash, throw it in a large box truck that is driven out once a week to the garbage and recycling centers at the park entrance. Not glamorous, but somebody's got to do it!
I also go around stocking wood in the cabins. Walking from cabin to cabin with a backpack of wood and kindling for their fires. It is great to get to walk around in the Tundra, getting to stare at the mountain. Guests come by and are always interested in the pack and what is in it. I think they go away thinking "Only in Alaska"...
After finishing my housekeeping shift, I have a couple hours break where sometimes I nap, sometimes I hike, or sometimes I watch a movie. Then it is time for dinner service. Similar to breakfast, but fancier. Then I go to sleep with light still lingering outstide. Those days happen 3x a week.
The other big days here are transport days. Monday and Friday guests leave early in the morning heading to the park entrance. After they leave it is a flurry of cleaning and getting rooms and such back to picture perfect for the new guests that arrive that night. As a staff we come and welcome the guests, taking them to their cabins and making them feel at home. On Fridays, I am Cake Girl. As Cake Girl I prepare a station of cake and beverages for just off the bus guests.
Pretty much that is my week. It goes by fast. I am always amazed when it comes time for days off. My days off are Tuesday and Wednesday, which can make the actual days seem a little dissorienting. What day is it again? Which day is my FRIDAY, FRIDAY?
No comments:
Post a Comment