Monday, March 31, 2014

Uncharted Running Territory

The end of March is near and with it the promise of spring, I think? Yesterday's long run definitely made me question that "spring" is here.



Up til now the longest I had run at once was 13.1 miles. My training plan required me to run 15 miles at this point. It all was starting to sink in that I was in uncharted running territory. What would I encounter?

Luckily I had the company and encouragement of a group of hardcore running gals called the Sage Leapers. This group seems to go out rain, snow, wind, animals, whatever! I met them for a gorgeous, winter wonderland run along a dirt road in Tom Miner. I was a little unprepared for the run, not wearing my normal getup. The road was wet and muddy. The bottom seam of my pants were soaking up all the water and it started to feel like I was wearing ankle weights! 

Along the run we saw deer run past, dodged some bison, and ran up never-ending hills. But the miles came and went. Soon enough it was time to part ways with my running partners. They were leaving me at Mile 12. The last three miles it was all me. I guzzled some nuun, ate some energy chews, and pushed through the snowy wind. The last few hundred feet my legs were TIRED. But I was pleasantly surprised it was a feeling I was familiar with. After a long day of hiking, you experience the same thing. But pushing through that pain, I did it! WOOHOO!

I wasn't on my A-game this run, but yet I persevered. Distance running is a mental game. Your body will ache. You'll feel pain all over (heads, shoulders, knees, and toes!). You recognize that most of the time those pains will pass and with each step you move closer to the finish line. I can't wait to cross that 26.2 mile finish line soon!


"A true runner has the heart and the soul for the sport which does not have to be proved to anyone else but oneself." 

No comments:

Post a Comment