I have been running errands and being a tourist in Anchorage the past couple of days. The other day I was at the bank and this guy was asking me about living in the park and how that must be strange and what do you do there in the winter? Haha...I told him "I'm about to find out".
Anchorage really is the "big city" of Alaska. Malls, traffic, skyscrapers, Starbucks, bright lights, lots of people. There is some saying about Anchorage that it is so close to being in Alaska. I went shopping and walked around town. And I got my Alaska license! Yup it's official. I'm an Alaskan. And in 2 years the state will pay me to be here (sorta).
I also went to the museum here in Anchorage. The museum is very nice; it features art, history, and native culture exhibits.The history of the state is pretty fascinating. It seems to be inter tangled with the land. The Russians came for the fur. The gold miners rushed in. Oil was discovered. Natural beauty was/is/continues to be the main attraction and hopefully preserved and kept wild. I am happy that I get to work in one of those beautiful, wild places.
But for now I will take a little time away from Alaska, to appreciate some of those other beautiful places in the world. Back to the lower 48.
"When mountains speak, wise men listen"
No comments:
Post a Comment